Top tips for Scalp Psoriasis
Did you know that August is psoriasis awareness month? Psoriasis is a chronic disease that can affect every area of the body, be it the arms, legs, or belly but also the scalp. It can render the sufferer extremely uncomfortable. 80-90% of people with Psoriasis have a form called “plaque psoriasis” and, of that group, around half will experience it on their scalp. It’s itchy, it’s uncomfortable and can leave a person feeling very self-conscious. We at Salcura want to help treat it as best as we can.
Scalp psoriasis, however, is more difficult to treat than other forms, as it is much more difficult to apply creams and ointments to a headful of hair than other areas of the body. With that in mind, here are our top 5 tips for treating scalp psoriasis, so you can feel confident and comfy when you’re going about your day!
- It’s the toughest, but it’s so, so important: DON’T SCRATCH! When you have an itchy scalp, nothing can feel better in the moment than a good hard scratch but don’t do it! Scratching an already irritated scalp can inflame the area and worsen the symptoms. Stay your hand and save your head.
- Try to loosen the flakes before you apply your treatment. The best way to do that is to use a natural shampoo and let it sit on your scalp for at least 5 minutes, untouched, before you do anything else. Try to avoid chemical shampoos, as they could further irritate your skin.
- Condition your hair and scalp to moisten the skin further, before removing dislodged scales with a brush of a fine-toothed comb. Be incredibly gentle and make sure not to damage the skin.
- Use your selected treatment products on moist or damp hair for optimum absorption and so as not to make your hair too greasy. A well-known natural remedy is olive oil, but that can be a bit heavy to be used in between the hair. Our DermaSpray is easy to apply and contains olive oil, but is much lighter.
- Sadly, we have to end it with another “don’t.” DO NOT blow-dry your hair after treatment. It can be tempting to quickly dry your hair off and go about your day but that can undo all the work you’ve just put in on treating your scalp, drying out the skin and making it more prone to flakiness once more. Leave your hair to air-dry and feel your scalp cooled and itch-free.
Finally, here’s our Salcura Scalp Psoriasis Routine!
- Wash hair with our Omega Rich Shampoo and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Gently rinse with lukewarm water.
- Condition hair with Omega Rich Conditioner and let sit at least another 5 minutes. Rinse out the Conditioner with lukewarm water.
- Gently towel-dry your hair.
- Part your hair around the area you wish to treat.
- Spray our DermaSpray directly onto the treatment area OR spray onto your fingers and gently dab onto the area.
- Repeat this process until all necessary areas are covered.
The DermaSpray can do wonders for those suffering with psoriasis, as it does not require rubbing and sinks deeply into the skin, encouraging healing and strengthening the skin barrier. Give it a try today and let us know what it can do for you!